WASHINGTON – US President Donald Trump on Thursday called off a historic summit with the Democratic People’s Republic of Korea (DPRK)’s leader Kim Jong-un scheduled for next month, citing Pyongyang’s “open hostility,” and warned that the US military was ready in the event of any reckless acts by DPRK.
Trump wrote a letter to Kim to announce his abrupt withdrawal from what would have been a first-ever meeting between a serving US president and a DPRK’s leader in Singapore on June 12.
“Sadly, based on the tremendous anger and open hostility displayed in your most recent statement, I feel it would be inappropriate, at this time, to have this long-planned meeting,”Trump wrote. “Please let this letter serve to represent that theSingapore summit, for the good of both parties, but to the detriment of the world, will not take place.”
Earlier on Thursday, DPRK had repeated its threat to pull out of the summit, which was intended to address concerns about its nuclear weapons program, and warned it was prepared for a nuclear showdown with Washington if necessary.
In a statement at the White House, Trump said he was still open to dialogue but had spoken to Defense Secretary Jim Matt is and warned DPRK against any “reckless act.” He said the US military was the most powerful in the word and was ready if necessary.
Trump said South Korea and Japan also were ready to shoulder much of the financial burden “if an unfortunate situation is forced upon us” by DPRK.
“While many things can happen and a great opportunity lies ahead potentially, I believe that this is a tremendous set back for DPRK and indeed a setback for the world, Trump said.
Asked if cancellation of the summit increased the risk of war, he replied: “We’ll see what happens.”
This article provided by NewsEdge.