Deal for the Weinstein Co., Seemingly Dead, Is Reached

LOS ANGELES — In a surprise twist in the ongoing saga of the Weinstein Company, an investor group said on Thursday that it had reached an agreement to purchase most of the assets of the near-bankrupt studio, just days after a deal had been declared all but dead.

“This next step represents the best possible pathway to support victims and protect employees,” Maria Contreras-Sweet, who led the investor group, said in a statement.

The Weinstein Company, struggling to remain afloat in the wake of numerous sexual misconduct allegations against its co-owner Harvey Weinstein, had said on Sunday that it would file for bankruptcy following the collapse of talks with the group, which includes the billionaire investor Ron Burkle. The Weinstein Company’s board said at the time that promised interim funding from the group had not materialized, leaving bankruptcy as the only option.

But on Thursday, Eric T. Schneiderman, New York’s attorney general, got the sale back on track by hosting a meeting in his offices with Mr. Burkle and Ms. Contreras-Sweet and members of the Weinstein Company’s board. Mr. Burkle, who has a long history with the Weinstein Company, stepping in to help Mr. Weinstein finance films in the past, asked for the meeting.

Mr. Schneiderman had filed a lawsuit against the company and its fraternal founders in February, which delayed the sale.

The deal will find the investor group acquiring most of the Weinstein Company’s assets, including rights to “Project Runway” and a 277-film library.