Berkshire Hathaway today released its Form 10-Q for the third quarter of 2018.
Five highlights during the third quarter were:
(1) Berkshire’s operating earnings increased by 100% as compared to the third quarter of 2017.
(2) Berkshire repurchased $928 million of its stock, indicating that both Warren Buffett and Charlie Munger conclude that Berkshire’s current price is below its intrinsic value.
(3) Berkshire purchased approximately $13 billion in equities on a net basis, including approximately $15 billion in equities in “Banks, insurance, and finance”.
(4) Berkshire added approximately $6 billion, or about 30%, to its stake in Bank of America.
(5) Berkshire’s book value equaled $228,712 per Class A share as of September 30. At Berkshire’s closing price of $308,411 on November 2, its price to book value ratio equaled 1.35, below its historical average of about 1.58.